Today we celebrated my cousin's birthday so I decided to try out a new recipe for a carrot and apple cake but of course I gave it a little of my healthier twist. The original recipe called for a fair bit more sugar but I love my cakes not overly sweet using ingredients that are close to nature where possible.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 120g rapadura sugar
- 80g sunflower seeds
- 2 large carrots (roughly chopped)
- 1 green apple (roughly chopped)
- 130g grapeseed oil
- 3 large eggs
- 350g bakers flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 100g sultanas
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- First mill the sugar on speed 10 for 15 seconds.
- Next add the sunflower seeds, set to the closed lid position and Turbo three times.
- Add the carrots and apple and chop for 4 seconds on speed 5.
- Add the oil, eggs and mix for 5 seconds on reverse on speed 5.
- Add flour, bicarb soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and process for 10 seconds on reverse on speed 5.
- Add sultanas and mix on reverse speed 3 for 40 seconds.
- Pour into tin and bake for 35 minutes on 180 degrees.
Ingredients for the icing:
- 100g rapadura sugar
- 1 vanilla bean cut into pieces
- 80g butter
- 250g cream cheese
- First add the sugar and vanilla bean and mill for 1 minute on speed 10.
- Add the butter and melt for 1 minute on 70 degrees speed 1.
- Add the cream cheese and mix for 20 seconds on speed 6.
- Spread icing on the cake once it has cooled.
I hope this recipe inspires you and that you enjoy this cake as much as my family did!