Thursday, May 16, 2013

Low Sugar Carrot and Chia Cookies





Sugar seems to rule the world. It is literally in almost everything you can buy in the shops and any intake is hard to control nowadays. 

Of course preparing your own food and snacks or treats puts you in control. There is so many healthy alternatives to white sugar as well; coconut sugar, rapadura sugar, coconut nectar or maple syrup just to name a few. Same have a higher GI rating than others but it really comes down to personal choice. I like to have a little of everything where one day I might use rapadura sugar, the next I use maple syrup.

These cookies are quite low in sugar and I have opted for coconut sugar. There is also some apple and the goodness of one carrot in these cookies combined with the unbeatable little chia seeds.

We enjoyed these with our afternoon cup of coffee on mother's day. Delicious yet not very sweet at all. 

My mum is currently with my dad as well as my brother and his girlfriend in Bali. I am a little jealous to be honest, I am sure a little bit of the warm weather would be nice and I just love Balinese food! How the spices are combined from scratch to give each dish such amazing flavour. Now thinking about it maybe some Balinese dishes would add some nice variety to my blog!

So yes, we are enjoying mother's day on our own today but when my special mum is back next week I will be treating her to a special high tea that I am really looking forward to.

Ingredients

  • 1 apple in quarters
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds soaked in 6 tablespoons of water for 15 minutes
  • 1 carrot cut into chunks
  • 120g chickpea flour
  • 120g oats
  • 35g flaxseeds
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 1.5 tsp baking soda 
  • 30-50g water (depending on your batter, start low you can always add a little more)


  1. First add the apple to the bowl and chop on speed 4 for 15 seconds.
  2.  Next add the coconut sugar and the carrot chunks and process on speed 6 for 5 seconds.
  3. Add all other ingredients and set to closed lid position, 2 minutes on interval speed.
  4. Bake at 190 degrees for 15 minutes until golden brown.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Print/PDF Button