On the weekend I went to a friend's Thermomix demo and the lady did an Asian themed demo for which she made a green curry with chicken. She didn't make a curry paste or anything like that but just used fresh herbs and ingredients. Let me tell you the taste was just out of this world, so amazing on the taste front!
Since we got 20kg of carrots from my awesome brother, pretty much most dishes this week have been vegetable based. So for tonight's dinner I decided to make the green curry from the weekend but instead of using the chicken I put in pieces of carrot and served it with Basmati rice as well as a green juice as an entree. It was delicious and hubby has already requested that this is a keeper for sure.
Here is a picture of the green juice ingredients; I used one orange, celery, spinach and a green capsicum.
Here is what you will need to make the curry sauce:
- 100g cashews
- 3 springs of spring onion
- 3 fresh green chilli
- 3 gloves garlic
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- rind of one lime
- 400g coconut milk (click here for a recipe to make your own)
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 red capsicum
- 750g carrots cut into cubes or rectangles
- 30g olive oil
- First grind cashew nuts on speed 9 for 5 seconds. Place aside.
- Next add onions, chilli, garlic, lemon grass as well as lime rind and grind on speed 7 for 10 seconds. Repeat this step 1-2 times until chopped very finely.
- Next add the coconut milk and cook on varoma speed 1 for 4 minutes.
- Blend for 20 seconds on speed 9 to make a smooth sauce.
- Next add the carrots and cook for 8 minutes on varoma reverse speed soft.
- Add fish sauce, ground nuts and capsicum and cook for a further 2 minutes varoma reverse speed soft.
This recipe is a must try if you love curries. I was amazed how easy it was to make such a flavoursome curry that is completely dairy and meat free.
I hope you enjoy this curry as much as we did!