Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chia Seed Egg Replacement

A while back I read that you can use chia seeds as an egg replacement and had been wanting to try it for a while.  Today I made some veggie muffins where I had run out of eggs; what better timing then to try this method.

The recipe called for four eggs so I used 1/4 cup chia seeds and 3/4 cup of water. Stir in the chia seeds into the water and leave to soak or set for about 15 minutes. Then it is ready for use.

So the rule of thumb is for one egg you use 1 tablespoon of chia seeds to 3 tablespoons of water.

I have to say it worked extremely well and I think I will be using it more often to include more chia seeds in my diet and reap more of the health benefits. It is said that chia seeds are for example anti-inflammatory which is great for active people like my hubby and me that train for and run marathons. They are also energising and contain high quality protein. But the benefits do not end there it is great for detoxification and stabilisation of sugar levels and can even aid weight loss.

Plus there are so many great recipes out there which makes it easy to add it daily to our diets, even just adding a tablespoon to your breakfast is great!

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print/PDF Button