Saturday, April 21, 2012

Lemon Cupcakes

Today we were invited to our close friends' baby girl's 1st birthday party. We went to a beautiful park in Kewdale at Tomato Lake where we celebrated with a bbq with friends and family. It was really beautiful with all the ducks and swans plus lots of other birds around us. The only thing was it was a little chilly but we had a great time. Just a shame I spilled my green smoothie all over me when we were in the car going to our friend's parents place for the cake so we left early. But it was a nice afternoon regardless.


Even though I am on the detox I made some cupcakes for which I amended a recipe slightly from the MasterChef Cookbook Volume One. I literally turned them into Nicki's Lemon Cupcakes.

What I love about home baking is that you know exactly what is in it which means no surprises with unknown additives or anything like that. Therefore still way healthier than some of the store bought goodies.

To make these gorgeous lemon cupcakes you need the following:
  • 100g unsalted butter (softened)
  • 165g caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 200g self-raising flour
  • 125ml milk
  • zest of 3 lemons
  1. First preheat the oven to 180 degrees or 160 degrees if your oven is fan-forced.
  2. Next beat the butter and sugar with an electronic beater until creamy.
  3. Next add the eggs, one by one, beating again in between.
  4. Next fold through the flour and the milk gently with a wooden spoon until combined.
  5. Finally fold through the lemon zest until well combined.
  6. Next fill into some lined cupcake bakeware. Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 and bake for 20 minutes in the oven.
 It depends whether you like a frosting on top or not. If you like frosting try the following:
  1. Beat 125g unsalted butter creamy. 
  2. Add 3/4 cup icing sugar slowly and keep beating it.
  3. Finally add 3 tablespoons of milk.
When I make my icings I don't like it too sweet which is why I often start by using only half the sugar that the recipes usually say. The icing still turns out very sweet usually and doesn't just taste of sugar because the buttery taste actually comes through nicely this way.

You can spread the icing with a little spatula which is the way I find it the easiest. But again it all comes down to personal preference and we are all different. Just do what you enjoy doing the most and it will turn into a success!


My hubby absolutely loved these lemon cupcakes. He is a bit of a cupcake-aholic! You should have heard his reaction when he tried them; it sounded like he was melting away.

What are you favourite cupcake recipes? What healthy cupcakes do you enjoy regularly?

Lots of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print/PDF Button