The other night I read in the book that I am currently reading “Eating for Energy” by Yuri Elkaim. I came across a section on coffee, highlighting research and facts which absolutely shocked me. I mean you always hear that coffee is actually bad for you but it was great to actually find out more as to why and what it really does in your body. Inspired by what I read I have decided to compile a list here for you as to why everyone should minimise the quantity of coffee they are consuming. I hope this inspires you to make positive changes for your health and future.
- Coffee is highly addictive. I am sure most people know about this. Basically coffee prevents the body from telling the brain that it is time to relax therefore causing that coffee rush. It causes a perception of increased energy however the bad thing is that with time the body adjusts or gets used to it and will then require even more coffee to keep going. This causes a vicious cycle and causes addiction.
- 70% of the world’s coffee supply is contaminated with toxic pesticides as well as chemicals, of which many are cancer causing.
- The process of roasting the coffee bean causes its natural oils to go rancid and therefore increases the chemicals in the beverage.
- Coffee results in a 40% increase in adrenaline and therefore increases stress. This then causes higher blood pressure, a higher heart rate, increased perspiration, as well as nervousness and irritability.
- Drinking coffee results in a 400% increase in stomach acid which can lead to gastritis and peptic ulcers.
- Coffee is high in cadmium which has been linked to cancer and also immune suppression.
- People that consume coffee have a 50% higher risk of having a heart attack.
- Through the consumption of coffee your body looses alkalising minerals, for example magnesium, potassium, calcium, zinc and B vitamins in the attempt to restore balance in the body.
- Consumption of coffee has also been linked to bladder and kidney stones as well as ovarian cancer.
- Coffee can double the risk of a miscarriage even if only 1 cup is consumed daily!
- If you consume more than one cup of coffee a day this can make you half as likely to conceive.
And if this all is not bad enough I remember reading something that if coffee was introduced nowadays it would most probably be banned because it would be classified as a drug.
If you know of any other shocking facts please post a comment to share this. This is important information that I think everyone should know about so that everyone can make an informed decision about their health.