Thursday, August 28, 2014

How to boost your Happiness



How often do we wake up thinking "oh I don't want to go to work" or "I don't feel like doing this". It is sad in a way because we are literally wishing our life away.

I know I often fall into this category even though I might look happy on the outside. But we are actually giving our power away. Let me explain.

Every single day we have a choice. I repeat every single day we have a choice. We can be in charge if we choose to.

Take a blank sheet of paper and draw a line in the middle. On the top of the left hand side write "have to" and on the right hand side write "want to". Now set the timer to 5 minutes and list as many thing as you can in both columns. Just keep writing. Make this commitment to complete this exercise because you desire more happiness in your life.

Now when you look at the "have to" items you wrote down think about them and see if you can turn them into want to. As an example: I have to go to work. Well do you really have to go to work? Not really you could stay at home. But the consequence would be that you wouldn't be able to do call those cool things in your life. I love travelling and learning new things. Without my job I wouldn't have been able to do a lot of those things.

Another example is: I have to clean the house. You don't really have to clean the house. But if you decide not to you will live in a different environment. If you keep your house tidy it will be much more harmonious and enjoyable.

Go through your "have to" items and see if you can turn them around. Life is about perception. Our perceptions change our experiences in life and lead to more happiness.

Another way is to think about all the redundancies that are currently happening in a lot of places around the world. Someone somewhere would love to have your job but you are the lucky one.

I heard this wonderful quote today:

If you want for nothing you will have everything.



Now I am not saying that you shouldn't have goals or aim to become financially independent but material things on their own will not make you happy. Happiness comes from inside. If happiness is made dependent on material things then what will you do once you have that house? It will feel great for a little while but then you will need to find your next item of desire to keep you happy. You might never even reach full happiness.


Life is about being in the moment. Seeing the perfect in imperfection and your perception of your experiences.

I am interested to hear what has helped you boost your happiness? Please comment below.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Print/PDF Button