When the weather outside is starting to get colder again in autumn, there is nothing quite like a warm bowl of homemade vegetable soup to warm the body and soul. As a variation to the usual potato and leek soup I have come up with my sweet potato and leek soup recipe.
If you wish you can also top the soup with parsley, some cream and roasted walnuts.
This recipe is well suited to the Vata type in Aryuvedic cooking. Root vegetables can have a grounding and balancing effect on the energetic Vata. I have certainly noticed a difference from incorporating more of the Vata foods to balance my dosha.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 roughly chopped leek
- 2 small sweet poatatoes or 1 large sweet potato
- 3 cups filtered water
- 2 tbsp homemade vegetable stock concentrate
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley to serve
- 3 tbsp cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup walnuts that have been roasted in a pan
- First add the roughly chopped leek into your Thermomix bowl and chop for 10 seconds on speed 6.
- Add all other ingredients apart from the parsley, cream and walnuts into the Thermomix bowl.
- Cook on 100 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
- Blend your soup by slowly turning to speed 8 for 30 seconds.
- Serve in your best soup bowls garnished with chopped parsley, some cream if you wish and roasted walnuts.