A couple of months ago we discovered on where we could buy fresh turmeric here in Perth (Farmer Jacks in Girrawheen) and since then we have been adding it more and more to our food. In my personal opinion for flavour, taste and of course from a health perspective nothing compares to fresh ingredients.
I also love my turmeric because it is a great anti-inflammatory food and I first started using more turmeric after Manuel and I did our first marathon at the City to Surf in 2011. I am not sure if it came down to the turmeric tea I made for a full week daily after the marathon to help my body recover or all the other health supporting foods that I enjoy, but I was able to fully recover within 3 days! I still remember it like it was yesterday, I was so proud of my body for coping so well after having covered 42.2km!
So last weekend I felt like some fresh turmeric soup, but what to add? I had a look in the freezer and found some frozen fish and oh the combination turned out just perfect!
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 finger of turmeric
- 1 onion
- 40g coconut oil
- 1 tomato
- one handful of celery leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- approximately 800g fish
- 80g millet
- 3 tablespoons of homemade vegetable stock
- 600g water
- First chop the garlic and turmeric on speed 7 for 3 seconds.
- Next add the onion and chop on speed 5 for 3 seconds.
- Once you have added the coconut oil into the Thermomix bowl saute the lot for 3 minutes on speed 1 at 100 degrees.
- Add the tomato, celery leaves and thyme and chop on speed 5 for 5 seconds. Scape down the sides of the bowl.
- Insert the butterfly and add the fish, millet, vegetable stock and water into the bowl and cook for 30 minutes on reverse speed soft on 100 degrees.
Do you have any favourite recipes using fresh turmeric?