When we got home from our evening run I started preparing some foods for Sunday because we had a lunch BBQ get together planned with the whole family. I lovingly call them the German mafia because when we all catch up we are quite a bunch of 25 people filled with laughter, noise and of course fun. I made one of my absolute favourite recipes; my brown rice salad. What makes this recipe so different is the combination of whole grains with dried dates, finely cut cheese, celery and of course the freshly crushed garlic! A true sensation of all senses visually and also for the delicate taste buds. Plus this salad is absolutely perfect if you are looking for that something more satisfying.
Ingredients (serves one):
- 100g brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 clove garlic, freshly crushed
- 35g organic cheese, cut into small cubes
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery finely sliced
- 2 dried dates, finely chopped
- sea salt to taste and freshly ground pepper
- Firstly cook the brown rice according to the instructions on the packet or if you do have a Thermomix, weigh 100g into the steamer basket with 1250g water and a little salt to steam for 40 minutes at 100 degrees on speed one. Once the rice is finished, rinse, drain and leave to cool.
- Mix together the oil, vinegar, spring onions and garlic to make the dressing.
- Place all other ingredients together in the bowl and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Finally leave to set for about 30 minutes to allow the various flavours to deepen.
The salad dressing
Finely sliced celery
Finely Cubed Cheese
The irresistible Brown Rice Salad
My parents also surprised us this morning with this little Easter surprise. My mum had lovingly hand made a marzipan egg coated with a dairy free dark chocolate. The eggs also had some bunny friends to keep them company in the little basket.
How cute is this basket!
What were your favourite moments this Easter? What did you enjoy the most?
Lots of love!