Monday, January 16, 2012

16 January 2012 - Today's Training and Nutrition

After the past week of my juice detox I am fired up and ready to step up my training and boost my nutrition for the New York Marathon later this year. This morning I first of all got up and did some yoga specifically designed for the upper body and core which is very very important for running and can make a huge difference especially when it comes to long distance running. In the afternoon I went to the gym and completed a faster 10 minute walk to warm up continued by 20 minutes in my MAP zone (for me this is currently 134-154) and finishing off with another 10 minute walk. I concluded the day with my basic bounce rebounder workout to support my whole system and strengthen lots of other muscles at the same time while having a lower impact on the joints.

In regards to nutrition I had the following today
- for breakfast I had a young coconut with a handful of spinach blended up in my Thermomix. However I felt like it was a little too filling for me and too rich. So tomorrow I will try something a little lighter a fruit green smoothie (I am currently thinking about apple juice, banana, chlorella and maybe a kiwifruit). I will let you know how this goes and whether I feel better using this.

- to drink throughout the day I had lots of water to stay hydrated and some peppermint tea when I went to visit my dad.

- for lunch I had a raw food soup using tomatoes, parsley and cucumber. It was so delicious and just perfect from the quantity and energizing.

- before and after my training I had a workout juice for which I juiced each 2 apples, 1/4 lemon, 1 celery stalk and 1/4 cucumber. This was amazing before the training it gave me a real boost and I felt ready to run. Also after the workout the juice gave me an overall well feeling.

- for dinner I had a sourdough bread roll and a multigrain breadroll spread with avocado and topped with lots of yummy veggies. I had cucumber, yellow capsicum. tomato and spinach. I found it very tasty and have to say that after the detox I appreciate the different tastes and food a lot more. I found myself consciously enjoying the food and enjoying every bit of it.

My plan is to continue the three workouts a day for six days a week and have one day a week off. I am also including as many fresh fruits and vegetables as possible to maximise my energy and decrease my recovery. Another important aspect I want to make sure of is that I get at the very least 7.5 hours of sleep every hour for this week as a trial to see whether this is enough for me. If it isn't I will be adjusting my schedule the next week.

After the detox I will continue to have my regular cup of tea at night; preferably fresh such as lemongrass, peppermint from my garden, fennel from the markets or a ginger & tumeric tea which can have an anti-inflammatory effect on the body.

Have a great evening and let me know about your training and schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print/PDF Button